Sun International has grown – in both size and reputation – on the African continent and around the world. The strength of the brand promises new discoveries, adventure and unforgettable memories.
Did you know?
- 1979 – South Africa’s most popular resort, Sun City, opened on 7 December.
- 1981 -The first Sun City ‘Million Dollar’ was held at the Gary Player Country Club and Hollywood film stars Roger Moore and Sean Connery, together with singers Johnny Mathis and Glenn Campbell, teed up alongside Johnny Miller, Seve Ballesteros, Jack Nicklaus, Lee Trevino and Gary Player.
- 1983 - Sun International listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- 1984 - Sun International opened the luxury Cascades Hotel at Sun City
- 1989 - The Morula Casino and Hotel opened in Mabopane, to the north west of Pretoria.
- 1990 - Sun International acquired a majority shareholding in Windhoek's most luxurious hotel. It was rebranded under the Sun International brand and became the Kalahari Sands Hotel.
- 1994 – The Palace of the Lost City at Sun City opened on 1 December. The opening coincided with the Miss World pageant.